Friday, February 21, 2020

The subtle art of not giving a f* : debugging suffering

If you are on blind and really frustrated with your job, you need to read this post

Questions to ask yourself about your suffering

  • Dont ask "How do I stop suffering". Ask "Why am I suffering : for what purpose" ?
  • What emotions am I feeling ? 
  • Why am I feeling them ?
  • Why do I consider this to be success/failure ? How am I choosing to measure myself ? By what standard I am judging myself and everyone around me ?
Onoda's value of loyalty to the Japanese empire is what sustained him on Lubang for almost 30 years. But this same value is also what made him miserable upon his return to Japan. 

Mustaine's metric of being better than metallica likely helped him launch an incredibly successful music career. But that same metric later tortured him in spite of his success. 

Pete Best got kicked out of Beatles, but he maintained a happy family life which the other Beatles members struggled to do. This is because he changed his values and the metric by which he measured life success. 

You need to be prioritizing the values that are important to you. Your happiness will depend on that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Books I am reading